Wednesday 29 April 2009

Contemporary design

What is contemporary design?

Contemporary design means modern, up to date, the latest thing.

Dictionary definition:
  1. Belonging to the same period of time: a fact documented by two contemporary sources.
  2. Of about the same age.
  3. Current; modern: contemporary trends in design.
  1. One of the same time or age: Shelley and Keats were contemporaries.
  2. A person of the present age.
of the present time; modern

Ok, so, my project is based on someone wanting others to talk to them. It's about communication, non-verbally.
I've been concentrating on signs with arrows. They inform and give directions. I thought this could be a good path to follow for the time being. :)

I found these signs online. I thought they were appropriate to my initial idea of using signs as they include loads of arrows. So yeah..



I've been searching for some contemporary graphic designers. One which sprung to my mind straight away was Stefan Sagmeister. He's usually the first person I think of!
I picked this piece of work in particular because its so self explainatory. He's engraved words into himself to pass on messages. It's a really interesting way of sending messages without having to say it. It relates back to my 'non-verbal communication'.


'Almost Fluorescent Nude' 2007

I found this image, by Fiona Banner.
It's a really nice piece of work. Really visually engaging and to me, aesthetically pleasing.
I love ''messy'' work, and working with ink is such a fun way to work! Because she's used ink and type, it makes it even more interesting because of the type being so neat and bright. They contrast eachother nicely.



'Everyone Ive Ever Slept With'

Here's a piece of work made by Tracey Emin. Her work's really quite personal to her which I find inspiring. I thought this relates quite well to my concept as it's kind of person to myself.



Here's an interesting photograph I found by Douglas Gordon. Using a mirror to show what a word really reads is a nice way of sending a message. Perhaps I could use this technique in my work?

I also found this..

Another piece of work by Douglas Gordon. Even though it's teeny, you can still make out that it says, 'Talk to me'. Thought I'd whack it up simply because that's the message I want to send out!



Here's the work of Barbara Kruger.
This appealed to me because it's simply stating the obvious.
There's some interesting photography here, although it's hard to see what it is! I just find it strange to look at. :)

No comments: