Tuesday 28 April 2009

Street sign alphabet: Bookmarks

Browsing online at road signs, I came across this!! It is in fact on an existing blog, although it's a mixture of a number of people's work so I don't know who made this.
This is what's been written to accompany the work:

''When asked to design a series of 12 bookmarks around the theme experimental/environmental typography, I started by taking a trip to the old souk of Jounieh where we can find all sorts of vernacular, leftout typography. As I walked by, looking for found type, I thought about the concept of a bookmark: it is supposed to help you find your way while reading, which is also the purpose of signs in streets. And what is reading other than walking in a virtual world. This led to the idea of trying to create a typeface based on the signs in themselves, signs seen as lettershapes, which is a more holistic, twisted approach to the project.''

''The ‘letterhunt’ started then. It was quite a challenge and I was walking in unknown territory, not sure whether I would be able to find all the letters of the alphabet.

After all the project as a whole was an experiment, and the farther it was pushed, the better it would get. Finally, I was able to complete most of the letters (in a legible way) and some of them were a bit pushed (the Z for instance). I was also able to find few punctuation marks.''




I really like this! It probably took a while to find the right signs to create each letter, but it looks so simple and easy. I love how they haven't made the letters look exactly how they should. Simple is definitely a big thing. Some of the letters don't look perfect, but it's still totally legible. It's great to see that they haven't pushed the letters so hard that they loose that quick quality. I love it!! 
It's also interesting to think about the link in which they've made between road signs and bookmarks. Very clever. :)

No comments: