Thursday 30 April 2009

After the PPD

It was quite a good session actually. Can't say I was really looking forward to it, but hey! I was given some artists name to have a look at.

Jenny Holzer
She's an American conceptual artist. The main focus of her work is the use of words and ideas in public space. Street posters are her favorite medium, and she also makes use of a variety of other media, including LED signs, plaques, benches, stickers, T-shirts, and the internet.
These are a few images I found that appealed to me aesthetically. I love black and white photography anyway, and the fact that there's type in it, well, it's completed me!
I like how the light from the building leads to the type, then to the water. It's a clever way to guide the viewers eye across the image.


Here's another piece of work by Jenny Holzer. I can't say I understand it, althoooough.. again, it appeals visually to me.


Simon Bent During the ppd session, Ross showed some work by this artist and I really liked what I saw. After having a brief look at some of his work, I came across these.
'Deccade' is a typeface experiment.
I much prefer the first image to the second because of the bright colours and space around it.


I was told about Pomme Chan. It's actually a really cool website...
http://pommepomme.com/news/
They do various of different type of graphics; commercial, typography, editorial and fashion.
Here's a few examples of each...

Commercial:


Typography:


Editorial:
Fashion:

I picked my favourite pieces from each category. I love swirly wurly things so these really appealed to me, especially the colours that have been used.

No comments: