Wednesday 21 January 2009

'Cars' stage 1

I thought it's about time I got some of my research up! I'll start from the beginning...
Along time ago, in a far away town called Eastbourne, a young girl called Lind
sey did some research. She thought it'd be interesting to look into cars. As easy as it seemed, she found it rather challenging. Ok, that's enough! ..
I chose 'cars' as my subject because I was sooo excited to go home and drive!! I thought I'd be in my car all the time, so I gathered it would be perfect!
Here's a few early bits taken from my sketchbook -

My first train of thought was to get the definitions of the word 'cars'. I got quite a few, so I circled the words I thought were most appropriate.


Also, I attacked the thesaurus, and nicked the other words for 'cars' to form, well what do you know, a car! Effective, no?
I've always been a fan of finding words in people's number plates, so I thought it'd be interesting to gather 100 random ones. So I walked round a car park for aaaages, photographing all these number plates. It's safe to say, I did get a few dirty looks! :s
After another long while, I gathered 100 secondary images from the internet, just to fill out my book a bit.
I had some spare time on my hands, so I sat in a bus stop and tallied every car which passed in 100 minutes (1 hour 40 minutes for all yo' unmathed people!) And then, I thought, I've got a Renault.. so let's narrow it down to them! :D So during my 100 tallying minutes, I counted how many Renaults went passed too. The results were..
'Number of cars' = 1616
'Number of Renaults' = 105
I stayed with the Renault idea, and gathered information. I visited a Renault Garage and took photographs and drawings as well as stealing one of each leaflet available!

As well as others cars, I decided to document the inside of my car. I took 100 photographs of details and parts of the interior. Some turned out well, whilst others didn't.

After a chat with my class mates, an idea was brought up of using French in my ''100'' book. So I read through the magazines and leaflets I'd collected from the garage, and circled 100 words which were most appealing and translated them all into French. I knew I wanted to use type in my book, so having this idea seemed pretty straight forward. I'll admit I did want to make a manual, but that idea fell through, so I was pretty damn chuffed when I got this one! :D

Now on to the designing of the book.


Here are the initial stages of the book design. As you can see, I started with what was asked of us.. the folding of the A1 sheet, and it started to change slowly. I wasn't a fan of folding a huge piece of paper. I found it creased a lot, so I didn't really wanna bother with it. However, I did use the crap version of it as a template. I trimmed it down so it looked more like a book, and numbered the pages. I then used Illustrator to create pages and numbered them the same as my template book. Then I started designing my pages! Here's another photo taken from my sketchbook in the early designing stages.


Here I'm playing around with the words and phrases I gathered from the leaflets. Trying out different layouts and compositions.
And this...


is my final ''100'' book!
(COMING SOON ON BLOG NEAR YOU!)

No comments: