Thursday 22 January 2009

'Cars' stage 2

Now the ''100'' book's finished, I need to make another one! Only this time, there are no rules! :)
We had a crit yesterday, which was really helpful. I was at that stage where I didn't have a clue where to go next! I was given a lot of handy feedback which
involved loads of ideas and various pathways to investigate into;
1. I was told to get out of my sketchbook and start experimenting 3D. ( Which of course, is a very fair comment)
2. Play around with various book binding techniques (still working 3D) and experiment with possible outcomes.
3. Look more at the components of a car, i.e. the door, steering wheel, gear stick etc.
3. Look at car adverts; Mini adventure, Peugeot 107.
4. (As I want to use type) look at various typefaces on roads, signs etc. Take them into consideration.

So it's safe to say, I've got plenty to be getting on with!


In the above image, I've tried seeing the ways in which I can make my book interesting and interactive. I although the inside information could be enough to interest the reader, I want the book to be part of it. It needs to be as original as possible to be as interesting as possible.

So, my idea now, is below.


I will use type to create image. For example.. 'Speed and style' is generally associated with the look and feel of a car. So, above, I've used the words to create a car. (and yes, I'm aware I put a 'b' instead of a 'd'!) I also added the wheels to make it more obvious to the reader what the image is supposed to be.
I reckon this works quite well, and it quite visually engaging.
Depending on the way in which I'd like the outcome to look, I could use a few different techniques to make it work.


I could use Illustrator to create a type path inside a shape. I simply create the shape I want, and type within it.
OR
I could just draw it by hand.


No comments: