Friday 13 March 2009

How to...

..study for the GCSE's! MY new brief. 
Lucky me chose number 6, which was then looked up in a book and under the number, there it was. 'How to study for the GCSE's'. Oh my days.

I filled in a sheet, which asked the questions..
WHO needs to know?
WHAT do they need to know?
WHY do they need to know?
WHAT will they respond to?
WHERE do they go?

I must say, they helped a lot! 
I figured out my target audience, which was of course, school children ages 15-16. 
I then needed to find out ways of studying. So I asked the same 
question to a random amount of people (on facebook of course!) ..'How did YOU study for your GCSE's?' I got loads of different replies. Handy, really.

The thing which stuck out the most, was how the internet had a major impact on education. In my little facebook survey, almost everyone mentioned Bitesize online. So I decided to use this as my starting point. 
I took into account that at that age, whenever using a computer with valid internet access, myspace...facebook...bebo.. etc.. would come out to play! This inspired me to create a male and female profile. Now, this wouldn't be any normal profile. It would be a special one! One which would grab the attention of the teenagers, and make them want to read through it. My initial idea was to either take pictures of friends, or uses already taken photographs (from the net of course) of models ooooorr celebs. I kinda stuck with the whole model scene though. My aim was seduction. The photo would seduce the viewer. 
The text inside the profile however, would state that this person loved to st
udy! It would kind of go along the lines that you won't get far if you don't study, and don't do well in your GCSE's (even though everyone knows that they don't matter too much!)
So yeah, that was my main idea at that point. 
Here are a few of the images I was considering to use as potential profile pictures...

I realized, although 15-16 year olds may be interested in these type of images, it wouldn't be appropriate and would probably get quite a few complaints. So I began mind mapping other ways of communication online. Something which was recommended to me, was aim bots. Like a pre-recorded message you get on phones, but only online. It would be like having a conversation with someone, although the answers would have already been written. 
I researched more into bots, and tried to go about making one. I did have a few problems though. First, I needed to sign up to make an account, and then I had to download a program which would help me create it. 'Cause the network's a bit pants, it wouldn't let me download the program, so I was a bit stuck! OH WELL! 
So it was back to the mind mapping.. again! I decided to go along the route of text language youngsters tend to use! It would tie in nicely with msn AND phones! So I be
gan thinking of ways to keep my work simple. A poster was definitely a wise choice! I also create a blog, sprouting from my already made college blog. I decided to go all out, and so, everything I wrote was in text language. Here's just a little taste of the way in which it looks.. 

'yor probly vry nrvos bout ur xams. n thr prbly aprchin fst. its prfctly nrml 2 fl da unplsnt flin ov uneasiness, fear n wrry. dis iz mst lkly nwn as anxiety.''









No comments: