Saturday 7 February 2009

A book design idea! :O

So I've been putting some serious thought into this whole book design malarky. Just after starting to design the contents of my book, I stumbled over a mahoosive problem. There aren't 100 SIMPLE parts of a car. I'm only gonna be doing the visual pieces of cars, so it'll have nothing to do with any engines and stuff. That'll just confuse me. Anyways, yeah, I got upto around 50 components inside, outside and the accessories of a car. There was no chance in making it up to 100!! So the question was.... 'How do I get around this!?' After a mini chat with a certain Sophie person, as wonderful as she is, reminded me we could just have 100 pages. Why I hadn't thought of that I don't know! Well, ok, I did, but right at the beginning of this thing which takes the name of a 'project'!
I've got a few doodles in my sketchbook of potential ideas. One in particular though, has taken my fancy. So, I made it!

(There would be 3 of these.. 1 for each category)
After making it and seeing what it looks, I'm not overlykeen. It didn't turn out how I expected it to which was quite dissapointing. :( As you can see from above, the pages aren't in line with eachother which is what I wanted! It just didn't occur to me that the gaps between each page would get bigger. Gr. So I did a little more brainstorming, and decided to go back to my initial idea.. a concertina! ...


Each concertina would consist of 10 pages, so the person looking at the whole thing would have to put each book next to eachother for it to make sense. I would have to make 10 books in total for each category, which means, if my maths serves me correctly, I'd have to make 30 books in total!!
After making these, I found the paper (which holds them together) isn't very strong, and often wripped. So I'm going to have to play with other ways to attatch the pages together. I'm gonna try using string and wire, and see what that does. :)
I'm quite happy with this idea. Although I'm not warming to the whole 30 book thing. Something else I'm gonna have to think about, is the presentation. I can't just hand in 30 loose books! Can I? Hm. Well, I might have a look at boxes etc.. and see what simple ways I can present them.

No comments: